Friday, December 30, 2016

Care and Feeding

I have a cold with a runny nose and a stuffy head,achy bones and tired body. Just home from work, I'm going to have hot soup with crackers, hot tea with lemon and a hot bath with bubbles.  Then I'm off to bed. 

This is not how I would have treated myself, when sick, back in the days of the eating order, 

I remember suffering a raging stomach flu when  I was anorexic. I also remember eating mass quantities of raw vegetables, because that's all I ate.  And I so looked forward to those veggies. It didn't matter that my stomach revolted. Trust me, raw broccoli is of  no help to a stomach virus. But eat it I did. In mass quantities.

When I was bulimic and had a root canal, I still made myself throw up all night. That's what I did, no matter what. I binged until i couldn't move, and then purged until I felt empty - root canal or no root canal.

What a miracle, and I don't take it lightly, that I can take normal, nice care of myself.. I never thought it  would be possible and easy. But it is.

4 comments:

  1. So glad you can take care of yourself now. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. Nice to hear from you. It is great to be able to listen to my body and to know what it actually needs and want. I used to be so disconnected. Nice to be free :-)

      Delete
  2. Feel better... over here relating to many things��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle; Thank you for writing. Nice to hear from people who understand! One thing I never did but I have friends who do, is exercise when I'm really sick. I have one friend who runs her many miles every day, no matter what, because she thinks she has to. It's weird, isn't it, what we do in the name of "thin"?

      Delete