Thursday, March 31, 2016

Abortion Controversy

I admit I have a new little crush on Chris Matthews for getting Donald Trump to say that women who have abortions should be punished. Oops, Mr. Trump.

Of course, those of us who are pro-choice found the idea appalling. (And by the way, why just punish the mother?)  Shouldn’t the father take his punishment too? What was it Chris Matthews suggested – 10 days in jail?

There’s also backlash from the Anti-Choice movement (I can’t say, “Pro-life”. We’re all in favor of life.  Besides, so many of these people favor the death penalty – not exactly pro-life.)

The Anti-choice folks are all over Trump too, because they believe it is the doctor who should be punished, not the mother because she is the “victim.”

This infuriates me – it’s infantilizing to women. If I decide to have an abortion, you bet I’m making my own, very thought-through adult decision. I’m not a victim.

Therefore, if abortion is illegal and a punishable crime, than I, the mother should – by this thinking, indeed be punished. Perhaps the jails will be full of post-procedure women and, hopefully, their sperm donors too.

And by the way, don’t forget not to cover birth control on insurance plans!


Crazy stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment