Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Answer

A.A. in Two Words

"All A.A. progress can be reckoned in terms of just two words: humility and responsibility. Our whole spiritual development can be accurately measured by our degree of adherence to these magnificent standards.

Ever deepening humility, accompanied by an ever greater willingness to accept and to act upon clear-cut obligations - these are truly our touchstones for all growth in the life of the spirit. They hold up to us the very essence of right being and right doing. It is by them that we are enabled to find and to do God's will."

Bill Wilson from a talk in 1965 (Printed in Grapevine in 1966)

i didn't know what else to do. Humility seems to be my answer. Work is finally fine. I realize nothing is beneath me (except denigrating or judging others)-- this is where i am in life. Learning and practicing humility is something i've never done before. it's actually kind of interesting and it's makes everything, well, just fine.

as for taking responsibility -- living up to my side of the bargain, changing the things i can and accepting the things i can't -- well, that's pretty cool too.

these two words bring me great peace and freedom.

3 comments:

  1. I need tio work those words.
    Big Time.
    Of course, no one goes around thinking their "not" humble but really there is a great deal of humility I lack.

    Like you said, we need to actively learn it and practice it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to be such an inspiration to me!!!

    {{{Hugs}}}

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy and Angela; Humility is saving me. every time i feel pride at work, i think, "nothing is beneath me", and it isn't. that gives me peace and comfort.

    i like this simpler, humbler life i'm leading. it's a million times different from the life i lead before!

    Thanks, guys, for your input and support.

    ReplyDelete